U.S. President Trump and Indian PM Modi / X/@WhiteHouse
U.S. President Donald Trump on Feb. 20 said a 10 percent global tariff will be imposed across the board, in addition to existing tariffs. Trump’s announcement came after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the administration’s sweeping tariffs were illegal.
Ahead of the Indian trade team’s visit to Washington next week, Trump said the deal with India stands.
“Nothing changes. They’ll be paying tariffs and we will not be paying tariffs. This is a reversal from what used to be … it’s a fair deal now,” Trump said.
Earlier in the day, the Supreme Court ruled that Congress has the power to impose tariffs, not the president. Since his return to the White House last year, Trump has imposed a range of tariffs on various countries under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA) of 1977.
ALSO READ:Trump alleges 'foreign sway', signals tariff escalation
Under the sweeping tariffs imposed by the administration last year, India was hit with a 50 percent tariff beginning in August, including a 25 percent tariff for purchasing Russian oil. However, earlier this month, the administration announced that the additional 25 percent would be removed after India agreed to scale back purchases of Russian oil. The framework for the interim agreement also said the remaining 25 percent tariff would be reduced to 18 percent.
“My relationship with India is fantastic. India was getting oil from Russia, and they pulled way back at my request because we wanted to settle that horrible war … and my relationship with Prime Minister Modi is great,” Trump said, reiterating his claim that he helped end the war between India and Pakistan last year by threatening a “200 percent tariff on each country.”
Referring to the high court’s ruling, Trump said it was “deeply disappointing” and that he was “ashamed of certain members of the court.” The president also said the ruling seemed to be “foreign-centric.”
“Foreign countries that are ripping us off are ecstatic and dancing in the street, but they won’t be dancing for long, I assure you. I will go in a different direction … which is even stronger than our original choice,” Trump said, referring to other federal statutes the administration will explore.
Discover more stories on NewIndiaAbroad
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Comments
Start the conversation
Become a member of New India Abroad to start commenting.
Sign Up Now
Already have an account? Login