Mayor Swarnjit Singh / Swarnjit Singh via Facebook
Norwich police arrested a 65-year-old man from New London on May 15 for threatening Norwich’s Sikh mayor, Swarnjit Singh, on social media.
Police, after being notified of the threats by the FBI in New Haven on May 14, proceeded to secure an arrest warrant and subsequently apprehended the individual, who goes by the name “John Moore” on Facebook.
Singh denounced the comments and said on Facebook, “I can ignore some of the racial slurs directed at me these days, but I will not tolerate threats to my family.”
He continued, “I will continue to serve my community as mayor and focus on economic development, whether anyone likes it or not. I have always condemned political violence and transnational repression, and I will continue to do so.”
Singh also included screenshots of the threatening comments that he had previously received, which included multiple threats, including threats to burn down Singh’s house.
Also Read: NC diaspora urged to shape India-US ties
Born in New Delhi, Swarnjit Singh Khalsa became the city's first Sikh Mayor in 2025, flipping a long-held Republican seat. Singh first moved to the United States as an International Student, pursuing a Masters' degree in Computer Science.
Connecticut Gov. Ned Lamont backed his Democratic peer and described the threats as “racist, threatening social media posts.”
Noting that he was proud to stand with Singh, Lamont condemned the threats against Singh and his family.
He also noted, “This kind of hatred has no home in Norwich, or anywhere in Connecticut. I’m grateful to the Norwich Police Department and the FBI for their swift action in responding to this.”
Responding to the governor’s post, Singh said, “The kind words not just from elected officials, but from friends and neighbors here in Norwich, were a reminder of why Connecticut is home, and how important it is to be there for one another.”
Singh was also supported by Connecticut Attorney General William Tong, who decried the “vile and violent” threats and said, “I am horrified and heartbroken, but it would be a lie to say that I am surprised.”
He continued, “Our social media right now is a cesspool of racist trolls competing with one another over who can be the most threatening, offensive and transgressive. It’s never OK, but when hate-filled rants turn to violent threats, especially against entire families, it becomes a crime.”
Discover more at New India Abroad.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Comments
Start the conversation
Become a member of New India Abroad to start commenting.
Sign Up Now
Already have an account? Login